Saturday, January 6, 2018

Book Review ; Shiver


So I finished my first book of the year. I have had this book on my shelf since October 2017. I had seen it many times on various book tube channels this year. The covers drew me in and I had to see what the fuss was all about. Even if I was only half listening to the reviews and synopsis while chasing my 1 year old around and kept my preteens from going to war with each other once again. Kids are great. I really didn't know what I was walking into with these books but I am so thankful to the book tube ladies, that I barely heard, raving about them.

I am a cheap skate when it comes to buying books and there is no denying it to myself or any of y'all. (I doubt there is much of a y'all seeing as this is my first blog post) But I found the trilogy while on a poker run with my Husband, John. We were out in Winchester, Virginia and had stopped at a restaurant/bar called Backseat Grill. They have great burgers and shakes and the beers are cold. The place is roomy but doesn't feel empty even when its not jam packed with about 100 of my friends and family. 



But to get to the point of me saying all of this... I picked up the trilogy next door to Backseat Grill for $9.00 plus tax! I found that to be a price I had no issue forking out. Especially for hardcovers. Past and Present Antiques & Collectibles is what the place is called. They have a great book selection. The place is super organized and full of attractive furniture, trinkets, and could be gift for that person who has everything (or for yourself, like i did.) They have sections for each seller but you pay for everything at the register near the front of the store. Love this store and will be going back in any time I am back in that area. Thanks to whoever sold this set at such a great price! I finally am digging into the series and I'm loving it.









Shiver 
By: Maggie Stiefvater

Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy



My favorite quotes from the book...

“You're my change of skin / my summer-winter-fall / I spring to follow you / this loss is beautiful” 

“One happy day for every falling leaf you catch”




Non spoiler synopsis: Shiver is about Grace and Sam and those surrounding their lives. Teens who will go the extra mile because they know how important them being dragged into each other's lives truly is. Grace is fighting to keep Sam human and Sam is fighting for it as well. In this towns secret the two of them and their friends find bonds that are made of magic.




My opinion in a nutshell: Humans, and werewolves, and love! Oh my! So yes, I am well aware that I am late in the Shiver trilogy game. Or are we ever really too late so long as it is eventually read? ;) I gave this mushy semi predictable love story 5 stars. Not only because sometimes exactly this kind of story is what we need to reset ourselves in the reading world because we know it will make our heartstrings pull and our hearts warm and our brows furrow… but because Maggie’s writing does something for my soul itself. Her descriptions of scenery just shows her true talent and calling was found and fulfilled. When I first realized that this book was about werewolves I was worried I would spend a lot of time comparing it to the Twilight series in the back of my mind. This, thank goodness, never happened. I actually commend Maggie on deciding against turning the books into a movie due to the fact she didn't agree with what was presented to her as how it would be produced. Yay for not settling! The book is now untainted and I have found a new addition to my  top 5 favorite authors within these pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment